Travelling to Ljubljana, Slovenia
Ljubljana is located on the crossroads between the Central Europe, Mediterranean Europe and South- eastern Europe. You might decide to travel:
- by plane: Ljubljana Airport (https://www.fraport-slovenija.si/en/Main/) is located 25 km from the city of There are regular bus, shuttle, taxi or rent-a-car connections from the airport to the city of Ljubljana (https://www.ljubljana.info/travel/airport-transfer/private-airport-transfer- service/):
- by bus (line 28) – it leaves every hour from the main entrance, price: 4,10 €, duration: 45 minutes. You can buy the ticket with the driver and we advise you to have smaller money (they will not except bills bigger than 20 €) with you.From Monday to Friday the bus departures from the Airport to the city of Ljubljana at: 5.00, 6.05, 7.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.00, 17.00, 18.00, 19.00,20.00.Saturdays, Sundays and holidays the bus departures from the Airport to the city of Ljubljana at: 7.00, 10.00, 12.00, 14.00, 16.00, 18.00, 20.00.
- by shuttle (mini vans) or taxi: they leave from the vicinity of arrival platform. It is a faster, but more expensive way. You can find details on: https://www.ljubljana.info/travel/airport- transfer/private-airport-transfer-service/;
- by train or bus: Ljubljana’s main bus and train station are located 10 min walk from the city centre and are well connected with trains (https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml) and busses from different parts of Europe. You can choose between several international bus providers, but the one operating most widely is Flixbus (https://global.flixbus.com/).
- by car: main European highways lead to Ljubljana (usually accommodation sites provide info on parking opportunities).
Meeting venues and how to reach them
Our NEWBIE event will take place on several locations (see also Figure 3 on Page 4):
- Department of Geography (Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana – Aškerčeva 2);
- bus no. 1 or 6, exit at the bus stop Aškerčeva
- Biotechnical Faculty (University of Ljubljana – Jamnikarjeva 101);
- bus no. 14, exit at the bus stop Jamnikarjeva
- if you decide to walk from the city centre of Ljubljana to Biotechnical Faculty, it will take you approximately 40 minutes. Figure 1 shows the most optimal way to rich the faculty from the city
Figure 1: How to reach Biotechnical Faculty from the city centre (from Prešeren square)
- Biotechnical Faculty will be hosting the whole programme on the 4th of February 2020 (Tuesday), while the dinner will be organised in Restaurant Čad (Cesta na Rožnik 18). Figure 2 shows how to reach the restaurant from the Biotechnical Faculty. It will take you around 15 minutes to reach the
Figure 2: How to reach Restaurant Čad from Biotechnical Faculty
- CEJA meeting (Zadružna zveza Slovenije, Miklošičeva cesta 4, Ljubljana);
- bus no. 1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 14 or 27, exit at the bus stop Ajdovščina
- departure site for field trip (Wednesday, 5th of February 2020) will be from:
- bus stop Mirje (bus line 9 in the direction Barje P+R), the bus stop is located just opposite the Faculty of Arts.
Figure 3: All four event locations
Each bus ride with Ljubljana’s public transport costs 1,30 € and the ticket is valid for 90 min. You need to pay with Urbana card (pre-payed card) or with a mobile application: https://www.lpp.si/en. Urbana cards can be purchased in every kiosk (it costs 2 €), where you can also place money on the card.
While accurate timetables for Ljubljana’s public transport can be found on this connection: https://www.lpp.si/en/bus-arrivals.
Accommodation and amenities in Ljubljana
There are several opportunities for accommodation in Ljubljana that might fit into your budget, including hotels, youth hostels, B&B or Airbnb. We prepared a list for you:
|NAME OF THE HOTEL||PRICE||LINK|
|CITY HOTEL LJUBLJANA***||Cca. 80 €/night included breakfast||www.cityhotel.si|
|HOTEL MRAK***||Cca. 80 €/night included breakfast||www.hotelmrak.si|
|M HOTEL****||Cca. 90 €/night included breakfast||www.m-hotel.si/|
|FOUR POINT BY SHERATON****||Cca. 90 €/night included breakfast||https://www.fourpointsljubljanamons.si/|
|HOTEL SLON****||Cca. 100 €/night included
|HOSTEL CELICA ART||Cca. 50 €/night included breakfast||www.hostelcelica.com/en/|
|H20 HOSTEL||Cca. 40 €/night excluded breakfast||www.h2ohostel.com/|
Be prepared for winter conditions in Slovenia. For further info on amenities in Ljubljana, you can visit this page: https://www.visitljubljana.com/en/visitors/.
Information on organizers
If you need detailed information or further explanations, please, do not hesitate to contact local organizers, i.e. Slovenian partner of the NEWBIE project (Department of Geography at the Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana).